Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Let's Talk Equipment!!

Hey!!
I've been asked by a few people what gadgets I use to make my food...so I decided to do a brief post on it with piccies.
First of all, I don't really have anything fancy, just the basics, which were bought at reasonable prices. I think it's a good way to start out, mainly so you know that the gadgets are actually going to get used! Secondly, I still have my eyes on the all amazing Vitamix blender, the ultimate machine for pureeing, smoothie making, nut butter making and I most recently learnt, dough making!! But maybe one day.

So onto the pics


The first set of pictures is a piece of equipment we bought in December 2011!! It's one device that has multiple uses. I've only just figured out how to use the Food Processor so it mainly sat in the cupboard for over a year, except for the juicer and blender part.
Juicer, I juice every thing in this, but my husband...

uses this, to juice his oranges, lemons etc

This is THE food processor
I've been using the food processor quite a lot recently, now I know what to do with it. I mainly use it for high powered chopping with a bit of mixing involved, so for example, the Ginger, Cinnamon Balls were made in this.

The Blender!
I use the blender for smoothie making, and soups and Raw Sauces. You would use this for a smoother/creamier texture to a recipe. I LOVE making smoothies with frozen fruit! It's like Ice Cream!!


Most recently, we got a Coffee Grinder, which was given to us for Christmas this year. I recently gave up coffee so was like...hmmm what am I going to use this for...well actually I've been using it quite a bit recently....
Coffee Grinder

To make this

Turn into this!!
The coffee grinder is great at making nut powders, the above picture is almond powder, great for Raw Recipes, or as a substitute for flour. Be careful not to grind too long as you will soon discover it turning into butter!!!

I also have a recently purchased Spiraliser

Hello Spiraliser!!
It turns your veggies into this

Courgette (Zucchini) Pasta...sooo pretty!
The Spiraliser is quick and simple to use, it raises eyebrows when served and becomes a bit of a talking point. You can pretty much use any veg and you really do save time in the Kitchen when you don't have to chop, chop, chop! I think it's been one of my best purchases, mainly because of the ease of use and time saved in the kitchen, added bonus, my boy loves to spiralise too. I like the fact that I don't even like courgette much, but spiralled with a bit of salt...it's pretty yum and I've been having it most days ever since! 

So that's pretty much the equipment I have been using. It all works just fine, it all gives me the results that I want. My only troubled issue is my blender, as I have had the bottom fall out a few times mid blend (it unscrews to wash the blades) thats really irritating and happens mostly when the blender is under a lot of pressure with hard foods (frozen food, nuts etc) I use at least one piece of equipment everyday (my poor neighbours) and have barely used the oven over the last month, and have barely (shock horror) even baked any sweet treats!! 

On a random note, I ventured out to the new Ikea in Doha today. It opened yesterday, so was expecting busy hellness, however, all was going well until we were greeted with this lovely queue...




Yes, the cashier was sat under the lit up number 10 with the arrow....

TTFN!! xx






2 comments:

  1. Cool Tessa! I didn't realise you were blogging. I love my spiraliser too. And of course the Vitamix will be used forever and day. The pure economics of how often you use it, with how much you pay, and how long it lasts will prove it's worth the investment when you finally get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thank you. I've only really started blogging, although I've had it running for 3 years. You are so right with the Vitamix, and it looks so so amazing with what it can do. Hopefully I can get one sometime this year! :)

    ReplyDelete